Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Michaela May - 1954

Scotland-born, Toronto-based singer/songwriter Michaela May has today unveiled the music video for her new single, "1954", which also serves as the lead track to be taken from her forthcoming debut EP, due out later this year. The video, directed by award-winning filmmaker Seth Mendelson (who also directed Tobias Jesso Jr.'s "Without You" video) explores the overwhelming societal pressures faced by women, in an unrelenting, single-take video that is most concerned with making a statement. Speaking on the video and why she didn't want to make a traditional "pop" video. Michaela explains:

"I didn't want the true meaning of '1954' to be completely lost in a catchy melody and lyrical metaphors, so I knew I had to make a statement. For the video, I focused particularly on women and the treatment of women. Society often talks about how far women have come, but there are still some fundamental issues that beg the question, is this still '1954?' I wanted to create something visually that highlighted this. I didn't want to make a 'pretty' pop music video, I wanted to make a video that made a statement about how I feel I still believe we have a long way to go with societal norms and pressures and hopefully my video will prompt some discussion and thought about how we can move forward..."

Watch the video for "1954" below.



"1954" is available now on iTunes.

Premiere via Fame Magazine.

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelaMayOfficial

No comments:

Post a Comment